Wednesday, July 23, 2014

My Bicycle

I'm just testing the waters here to see if I can figure this sh!t out.  Let's see....

Here's a photo:

This is my (old school,  late 1970's) ROSS all terrain bike (ATB).  It seemed like a small fortune I paid when I bought it, but it's nothing compared to what a comparable bike (if there is such a thing) costs today.  Now they have shock absorbers, hydraulic disc brakes, carbon fiber frames, blah, blah, blah, and a price tag in the thousands.

I just put new (fatty) tires on it and had the rims trued by the pros at Reedy Creek Bike shop.  I've gone over it with a fine toothed comb and everything is ship-shape, ready to roll.

I've probably put 12000 miles on this bike.  I used to ride 10-15 miles every weekday (weather permitting), then between 15 and 50 on a weekend day (usually Sunday).  Admittedly, the majority of these miles were on paved or dirt roads.  But a significant amount was trail riding.  I used to ride the Virginia Creeper before it got so wildly popular.  Even before the trestles were planked over.  Man that was a rough ride across those open ties.  My buddy and I would park outside of Damascus, and ride up hill to White Top and back.  Not many people ride up the mountain these days.  They take a shuttle to the top. It can be a little dangerous as groups of riders (10-20) come flying down the trail, not expecting anyone going the other way.

When my niece got married, we had a family group ride on the creeper.  Amanda and Mark, Mark's parents (David and Sue) from New Zealand,  Kenneth (Amanda's dad),  BJ (my wife), me, and our son Casey.

Miles of Smiles.   There wasn't a picture taken that day, that didn't have smiling faces in it. That was a fun day.  

No comments:

Post a Comment