Sunday, September 7, 2014

My apologies to the Virginia Creeper Trail

Dear Virginia Creeper Trail,
Please accept my sincere apology. Although I've ridden your upper section (Damascus to White Top), in both directions, dozens and dozens of times I have avoided the lower section (Abingdon to Damascus) primarily due to negative comments made by (presumedly elitist) reviewers. Today, for the first time I rode that section and I must say it was spectacular. I intend to do it more in the future.
Sincerely,
Me

The most common "complaint" is regarding the gates.  The gates are annoying, but I understand the needs of the farmers whose land the trail cuts across.  For the most part, you don't have to dismount to negotiate them.  I think a couple are in the process of being removed and the more difficult ones to open are being replaced.  Still worth the "hassle" for the beauty of the ride. On this day, I arrived at Smith's Farm very early in the morning and the rising sun and clouds to the east were beautiful.

Looking back (north west) toward Abingdon at trestle #12 around 8:30 this morning.


No comments:

Post a Comment